Monday, March 2, 2009

Selling Out

I knew my blog would pay off for me one day and so it has at long last. I've been invited to join a group blog hosted by Pied Piper Publishing. Called Lord of the Green Dragons, the blog is much more narrowly focused than Grognardia, being primarily about topics specifically related to PPP, its products, and the history of the Greyhawk campaign (AKA The Original Campaign). I'm sure that, given the large and diverse nature of the bloggers associated with it, including such luminaries as Joseph, the Greyhawk Grognard and Allan Grohe, as well as Rob Kuntz himself, this focus may shift a little bit over time, but, in the main, it'll till somewhat different fields of interest than I do here.

My regular posting on this blog won't be affected by my acceptance of this invitation. Grognardia remains my primary online home and you can expect my output to remain much as it has for nearly a year now. I'll eventually settle in to a schedule of regular posts at Lord of the Green Dragons, likely two or three times a week -- nowhere near as often as I post here. Likewise, my objectivity, such as it is, won't be compromised by my posting on a blog associated with an old school publisher. I hope I've already demonstrated that my opinions are my own and that won't change in the future. I'm far too stubborn to be "bought," although I encourage anyone with large sums of cash to try and prove me wrong.

12 comments:

  1. ...and thus did the Golden Age pass into Silver...

    ;)

    Congratulations, James.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! If you can turn your writings into a paying gig, that's good for you! There are a whole lot of us that hope we'll get opportunities to do the same. It'll be good to see you involved even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations James -- your dedication, your wit, your insight.. it was inevitable that something like this would come of it. No one blogs in a vacuum. CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you can turn your writings into a paying gig, that's good for you!

    To clarify: I am not being paid by PPP to join their group blog. "It's an honor just to be nominated" and all that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One note about your first entry, though: Isn't Blackmoor the real "Original Campaign?"

    Now that I think about it, it's kind of odd about most of the old-school blog crew never mentions old DA much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The Original Campaign" is the term Rob Kuntz uses in PPP products to describe the Greyhawk campaign between 1973 and 1985. I simply co-opted his usage.

    You're right that neither Blackmoor nor Dave Arneson get talked about much by most old schoolers. There are several reasons for that, one of them being that Dave has largely kept his profile low over the years, which I think is a pity, especially nowadays. I am sure he has a lot to say and it'd be great if he took the opportunity to say some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations. Hope it brings you wider recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bah, this blog was so much better before it sold out, but I suppose becoming a corporate stooge paid off, eh.







    What? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, James! I've been lurking here for a while and it's a very enjoyable reading. We use a mixture of old-school and "new-school" elements in my group, and your writings helped me comprehend the old-school much better.

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AAAAUUGGGHHH!!!
    IT HURTS MY EYES!!!

    (Just kidding.) ;)

    But seriously... the white text on black background does cause eye strain. I very strongly recommend to PPP that they should change the color scheme. I have the blog bookmarked and I will read it regularly. But I can't look at it for more than about a half a minute before I need to rest my eyes.

    I tried leaving a comment there but it is not permitted. James, if you can pass along my criticism, I'd appreciate it. Or if you know where I could send a proper email, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know which is more disappointing, that the blog does not allow public comment, or that Rob is taking credit for coming up with, "name and all," the Remoraz, which is one letter different from the identical creature faced by Conan in Robert E. Howard's "The Frost Giant's Daughter".

    I love the blog's content, though.

    ReplyDelete